- 4-6 ripe apples
- 4 Tablespoons water
- 1-2 dates, pitted and chopped small
- 1 -2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 4 Tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Plain yogurt for topping, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the core and seeds while keeping the bottom of the apple intact. You want to have a nice “pocket” for the filling.
- Put the apples in a medium baking dish with sides; apples should fit nicely with just a little space in between.
- Combine the cinnamon and chopped dates and stuff into each apple.
- Drizzle honey or maple syrup if desired.
- Add water to bottom of the dish to prevent sticking.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the apples are soft, about 20-30 minutes.
- Check for doneness-you want the inside to be soft and tender. Add water if needed.
- Sprinkle walnuts on top when cool.
- Top with a tablespoon of yogurt if desired.
Mary-Beth says: “Any apple variety will work, but Fuji and Gala seem to retain their shape while getting nice and soft inside when baked.”