- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in cubes
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium ribs celery, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme, rosemary
- 4 cups (32 ounces) beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil and heat until shimmering.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Add the seasoned beef to the pot in a single layer (you’ll likely need to work in batches) and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Add additional oil as needed between batches.
- Remove all beef to a bowl and set aside.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to pan and cook till soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add beef broth and beef back to pan along with the bay leaf and sweet potato and green beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover.
- Cook over low heat, partially covered, for 2 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
Mary-Beth says: “I started adding sweet potatoes to this stew a while back and really enjoy the extra flavor and vitamins they provide.”