- 3 bell peppers, tops and seeds removed, halved lengthwise
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cup shredded chicken
- 2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Oregano and parsley as desired
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° and drizzle a medium baking dish with olive oil. Place halved peppers cut side up in baking dish
- Remove seeds and membranes from peppers and rinse well. Fill a large pot with an inch or so of water and top with a steamer. Bring water to a simmer, add peppers and cover. Steam for about 10 minutes or until tender-crisp. Alternatively, you can boil water and cook peppers in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Remove peppers and drain water. Set aside until ready to stuff.
- Steam broccoli till almost tender, as they will cook again in stuffing.
- In a large bowl, stir together broccoli, chicken, rice, 1 cup cheddar, garlic, and oregano, and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill each pepper with chicken mixture, then top with remaining cheese.
- Put about an inch of water in a baking dish and place peppers in baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes, until stuffing is hot and cheese is melted.
Mary-Beth says: “I am a huge fan of healthy-er dinners that can be pulled together ahead of time, popped into the oven, and on the table in record time. The peppers, nutrient dense on their own, take the role of carrying all other nutrients to you.”