- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 8 ozs tofu (extra firm, crumbled)
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 tsp chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup salsa (divided)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1/2 head romaine hearts (chopped)
- 1 cup black beans (cooked)
- 2 avocado (diced)
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a dry non-stick skillet over medium heat add the crumbled tofu. Cook, stirring often, until just golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the tofu to a dish and set aside.
- Add the oil to the pan followed by the cooked quinoa, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder and salt. Stir to combine then add half of the salsa, lime, nutritional yeast (if using) and browned tofu.
- Spread the quinoa and tofu mixture into a flat even layer in the pan and let caramelize for 3 to 4 minutes before stirring and flattening again until quinoa is slightly crispy. Season with additional salt or lime juice if needed. Transfer the quinoa mixture to a dish and set aside.
- To the same pan add the red pepper and adjust heat to medium-high. Let the peppers cook for 8 to 10 minutes until tender and slightly charred.
- To assemble the burrito bowl, divide the quinoa mixture, red peppers, romaine, black beans, and avocado between bowls. Top with remaining salsa and enjoy!
Mary-Beth says: “This takes a little extra time to prepare, but the flavors are wonderful, and macronutrients nicely balanced!!”