- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium size zucchini, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz chicken broth
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup or more shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips and avocado if desired
- Adapted from barefootcontessa.com
- Heat olive oil in large sauce pan. Saute onion and garlic till soft.
- Add the sweet potato pieces and saute for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the peppers and zucchini and saute for another 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in salt, curry powder, cumin and cayenne.
- Crush tomatoes by hand or in blender to puree. Add to vegetables.
- Add chicken broth.
- Bring to boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Poach chicken in skillet with water just covering the chicken. Simmer till chicken is cooked through; about 10-15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Cut, tear or shred chicken (depending on how you like the pieces in your bowl!).
- Add to stew and simmer till warm through
- Serve with shredded cheddar, tortilla chips, avocado or toppings of your choice
Mary-Beth says: “Is this a soup, stew or chili? Whatever you decided to call it, it is hearty and packed with nutrients. Serve with a leafy green salad for a complete meal.”