- Kale Slaw
- 1 cup sliced kale
- ¼ c avocado mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Chicken filling
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter or avocado oil
- 3 cups baked, cubed chicken breast
- 1 ½ cups of small diced red, yellow, orange pepper
- OR 1 ½ cups corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- Sliced avocado, optional
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- (or Siete Cassava flour tortillas for gluten free)
- Shredded cheese
Recipe adapted from “Cook Once, Eat All Week” by Cassy Joy Garcia
- Make the slaw: In a small bowl combine kale with mayonnaise, lime juice, chili powder, set aside.
- Melt the butter or heat the avocado oil in saute pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken and peppers and warm for about 2-3 minutes, stirring gently.
- Add spices and lime juice and toss in with chicken. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Warm tortillas in another skillet till slightly brown.
- Assemble by layering the slaw, then the chicken, then the cheese onto the warmed/crisped tortilla shell.
- Note: I used about 2 pounds of boneless breast meat, added some salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder and poached them in a saute pan. Once they were cooked I cut into cubes.
Mary-Beth says: “The kale slaw amps up the nutrients in these tacos and adds a delightful flavor to the chicken filling.”