- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of red pepper flakes if desired
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup gluten free pasta (or whole wheat pasta)
- 2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped small
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese for serving, if desired
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, add 1/2 cup of water and cook over medium heat until onions soften, about 5-7 minutes. You may need to add more water to prevent burning. Alternatively, saute vegetables in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add broth, cover and bring to boil. Once boiling, add pasta, reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook, partially covered for about 10 minutes. Add the cooked chickpeas and broccoli florets, and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, and cook for another minute, just until the spinach is wilted. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve with shredded Parmesan or shredded Pecorino Romano cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Forksoverknives.com
Mary-Beth says: “Chickpea noodle soup is incredibly delicious and satisfying.”