- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or butter
- 1½ pounds fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Melt the butter (or heat the olive oil) in a heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and saute until onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft enough to blend.
- Blend the soup, in batches, with a hand blender or in a Vitamix (you may need a little extra broth or water if it is too thick); use caution with hot soup in a blender!!
- Alternatively, if you like a lot of texture, blend half the soup to desired consistency and add back to the remaining soup.
- Serve hot topped with a handful of shredded cheddar cheese; or not! Delicious with or without the cheese.
Mary-Beth says: “If you love cream of broccoli soup, this soup is pretty close to one made with heavy cream.”