- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 32 oz cartons organic chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning or parsley
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta (optional)
- 2 bunches escarole, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and rained
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano (or Parmesan) cheese
- 1-2 cups of cubed/shredded chicken (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender.
- Add broth and seasoning, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Stir in orzo if using.
- Stir in escarole.
- Return to a boil, cook 12-14 minutes until orzo is cooked and escarole wilted.
- Add beans, heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked chicken, if desired at the end, to warm.
- Sprinkle each bowl with cheese when serving.
Mary-Beth says: “If you are like me, you will need a whole lot more than ½ cup of the Pecorino Romano cheese!”