- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cucumbers, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 cup ricotta or feta cheese
Recipe adapted from TheKitchn.com
- Combine the lentils, garlic, and bay leaves in a large pot and cover with water by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the water and pull out the garlic and bay leaves.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- While the lentil are chilling, make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, salt, and vinegar. Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly until the dressing has emulsified.
- Combine the lentils, cucumbers, olives, and mint in a large bowl. Pour over the vinaigrette and toss to evenly coat. Dot with ricotta or crumbled feta just before serving.
Mary-Beth says: “The ricotta is a nice, creamy alternative to feta, which also would work nicely in this salad!”