- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice (from 2 to 3 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- salt/pepper to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To cook the quinoa: Combine the rinsed quinoa and the water in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 15 minutes, reducing heat as time goes on to maintain a gentle simmer. Remove from heat, cover, and let the quinoa rest for 5 minutes, to give it time to fluff up.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the chickpeas, cucumber, bell pepper, onion and parsley. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and salt. Whisk until blended, then set aside.
- Add the quinoa to the serving bowl, and drizzle the dressing on top. Toss until the mixture is thoroughly combined. Season with pepper and salt as desired.
- This salad keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for about 4 days. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Mary-Beth says: “I like red quinoa in this salad; also consider adding additional vegetables like steamed broccoli, chopped tomatoes, roasted zucchini slices.”
*recipe adapted from cookieandkate.com