- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cups chopped vegetables (choose the rainbow!):
- Sweet potatoes, green beans, butternut squash, potatoes, bell pepper, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower
- Sea salt, pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- Crushed red pepper and shredded pecorino roman cheese, for each serving
- Warm olive oil in large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add all vegetables and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened
- Add garlic and thyme. Cook and stir for a minute or two
- Pour in the diced tomatoes with juice and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Add broth and water, salt and pepper and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for a while.
- Serve with crushed red pepper flakes (if desired) and generous spoonfuls of shredded Pecorino Romano cheese.
Note: If you want to make this even more hearty, add some cooked chicken or pieces of sausage at the end.”
Mary-Beth says: “Be creative here because you can! Any combination of vegetables will work. Eating the rainbow is easy pretty easy with this dish and it is SO delicious!”