- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, cut into cubes
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pitted dates
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Recipe adapted from “Diet for the Mind” book by Dr Martha Clare Morris.
- Prepare corn tortillas as desired: microwave until soft, or heat on a griddle.
- Microwave the unhusked ears of corn, one at a time, for 4 minutes.
- Removed husk and silks, and cut off kernels.
- Transfer kernels to medium bowl.
- Add avocados, jalapeño, dates, cilantro, basil, feta cheese, lime juice and pepper. Gently stir together.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in sauté pan and add onion; sauté for 2-4 minutes.
- Add black beans, water, cumin, and garlic powder and cook for another 4 minutes.
- To assemble, scoop a heaping spoonful of black bean mixture in the center of each tortilla, top with a heaping spoonful of the corn mixture. Fold in half to eat.
Mary-Beth says: “Corn tortillas are higher in fiber than flour tortillas, and make a delicious shell for these plant based ingredients!”