- 2 Tablespoons olive oi
- ½ onion diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground lean turkey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1 can black beans (original recipe calls for kidney beans but I am not a fan so I swap in black beans!)
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, no sugar added
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can green chilies, drained
- Topping suggestions
- Sliced avocado, sliced jalapenos, shredded romaine lettuce, sour cream or toppings of choice
- Place oil in a large skillet and place over medium high heat. Add in onion, garlic and red pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ground turkey and break up with a wooden spoon, add salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and black pepper and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until turkey is has started to brown.
- Transfer to crock pot, add beans, broth, tomatoes and green chilis and stir to combine. Place lid on crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add toppings as desired.
Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
Mary-Beth says: “Turkey chili is a healthy alternative, and no less delicious to traditional chili.”