- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (use red, green, orange, or yellow, or a combination!)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce or crushed, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¾ c dried red lentils
- Chile powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, pepper to taste
Recipe adapted from PeasandCrayons.com
- Optional: shredded or cubed cooked chicken
- Put everything into the slow cooker except the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or high for 4-5. When vegetables and lentils are tender, and soup is thick, you will know it is ready.
- Add the chicken at the end, so it doesn’t overcook in the soup.
- Serve with a variety of toppings; suggestions below.
Broken tortilla chips
Shredded cheddar cheese
Mary-Beth says: “You can make this on your stovetop. Cook the vegetables first, then add the chicken stock, tomatoes, beans, corn and lentils and spices. Let simmer for about 45-60 min, covered to cook through.”