- 6 large bell peppers (any color), tops cut off and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, mined
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup yellow squash, diced
- 8 oz. package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 can (14oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (or rice)
- Shredded mozzarella or cheddar (optional)
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, add onion, and garlic, saute for 5 minutes. Add the white beans, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, parsley, salt and pepper, and tomato sauce, cook for 2 minutes or so. Add quinoa or rice and mix to combine. Remove from heat.
- Fill each bell pepper with vegetable mixture, making sure to pack it well.
- Add optional cheese on top, cover the baking dish with lid or tin foil, and bake on the center rack for 35 – 40 minutes. Remove cover, top with optional grated cheese and bake for another 5 – 10 more minutes. Cooking times vary, adjust to suit your needs.
- Once done, let cool a few minutes and serve with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley.
- Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days.
Recipe adapted from Simple Veganista
Mary-Beth says: “Peppers stuffed with other vegetables, beans and whole grains make for a delicious meatless meal!”