- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium ribs celery, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme, rosemary
- 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups chopped kale or spinach
- Freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Add the carrot and sweet potato, stir and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add add the canned tomatoes, garlic, and herbs.
- Stir in the broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, zucchini, chickpeas, and cover and cook 10 to 15 more minutes, until the green beans are tender.
- Stir in the kale, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with grated cheese.
Mary-Beth says: “Amp up your vegetable quota for the day with this soup. You can add cut up chicken to make it even heartier.”