- 1 extra large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup diced walnuts
- ½ cup diced mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded or grated Pecorino Romano (or parmesan) cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 8 oz mozzarella
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the flesh.
- Place two halves in baking pan with a bit of water on bottom. Cover with foil, and bake at 400 degrees till soft but not falling apart. 20-25 minutes, depending on the size.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan on medium high heat. Add flesh and cook until mushy. Add the mushrooms and saute till soft.
- Put flesh and mushroom mixture into bowl. Add in shredded romano and walnuts and mix well.
- Remove zucchini boats from oven. Carefully stuff each boat with filling, spoon marinara over stuffing, and then spread sliced mozzarella over top of each.
- Return to oven and bake for about 20 minutes, till stuffing is hot and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Mary-Beth says: “Consider this a guide vs a strict recipe. The quantities and choice of ingredients are totally customizable, and will give you the opportunity for extreme creativity with your boats!”